Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 21:36:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Gary Clark II <gclarkii@main.gbdata.com>, phk@critter.tfs.com, brians@mandor.dev.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > $39.95 (the price of a FreeBSD CDROM) is 5 times the 2% figure you
> > > cite for most OS's, and twice the figure you cite for BSDI:
> >
> > This is only from Wallnut Creek.  You can find them alot cheaper than
> > that around.
>
> OK, then take 4%-10% and convert it to 2%-5% for $19.95, and for the
> business user, you still hit your 2% threshold with room to spare.
>
> > > SCO
> > > 	$400/$40 = 10
> > > 	1/10 = 10%
> > Is this the FULL package?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Development also?
>
> Yes.  GNU tools, just like FreeBSD.
>
> > Unlimted user?
>
> Yes... as "unlimited" as SVR4 gets...
>
> > Networking?
>
> Yes.
>
> > > BSDI
> > > 	$1000/$40 = 25
> > > 	1/25 = 4%
> > How much is the BSDI source license up to now?
>
> Who cares; we are talking about users who don't hack the kernel.
>
> > How much is a unlimted user license?
>
> $1000, last time I checked.
>
> > NOTE: Please tell me if BSDI has went back to $1000 source and unlimted user,
> >       I've got a customer running 2.1 I love to have source for.
>
> Clearly you are a candidate for "FreeBSD SNAP tester", with your
> preoccupation with compiling things...  8-).

Before I used to be part of FreeBSD, I used to pay for Unix.  I think
Terry hasn't priced Unix lately, because I know _I_ bought the fully
decked out versions, am they were one hell of a lot more.  The last time I
bought them was 4 years ago, I kinda doubt Terry price assertions, on the
full model.

chuckr@eng.umd..edu          | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |