Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 2015 17:08:53 +0000
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: thrashing + lost files

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 23:56:25 -0800
CK wrote:

> Features=0x381b83f<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,SEP,MTRR,PGE,CMOV,PAT,MMX,FXSR,SSE>
> VIA Padlock Features=0xdd<RNG,AES> real memory  = 536870912 (512 MB)
> GEOM_ELI: Device ada0p3.eli created.
> GEOM_ELI: Encryption: 3DES-CBC 192
> GEOM_ELI:     Crypto: software
> GEOM_ELI: Device ada0p6.eli created.
> GEOM_ELI: Encryption: AES-XTS 128
> GEOM_ELI:     Crypto: software

Try setting padlock_load="YES" to loader.conf, and switching your
swap partition to use AES-CBC 128. I'm not certain, but I think that's
supported in hardware for VIA padlock - you'll see "Crypto: hardware"
if it works.

Contrary to what someone else said geli doesn't use much memory itself.
However it can strain a low-end processor, which is why low-power
processors have had acceleration for a long time. Not having much
memory exacerbates the problem by reducing disk caching.

> 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033 199 199 140   Pre-fail Always  - 1
> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
> No self-tests have been logged.  [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]

IIWY I'd run "smartctl -t long" on the device, wait an hour or so for
it to complete and run  smartctl -a again.

I'm not an expert on this, but some people advocate replacing drives
with any relocated sectors.