Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 10:21:24 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Am I wrong or is this just stupid?

> Furthermore, here's my make world time for the standard tree:
>
>      6366.76 real      4213.03 user       711.55 sys
>
> And for a tree which has make depend and make all combined:
>
>      6189.28 real      4215.11 user       706.74 sys
>
> A noticable difference for the same effect.

We lost more time with the recent 'obj' changes than gain for the
possibility of leaving bogus binaries in the tree.  I think time would
be better spent figuring out why the 'obj' changes are slower, and
figure out how to speed them up since they are so key to the build
process than to remove a couple steps from the build process to get the
time back.

Nate