Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 1998 17:54:31 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2 printcap entry -- a no-go on 3.0

Doug White:
 |On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Randall Hopper wrote:
 |>  |>   Warning: text is down: printing disabled
 |>  |                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 |>  |
 |>  |Have you tried going into lpc and restarting this printer?  Looks like it
 |>  |was disabled from lpc.
 |>
 |> Yes, I did.  No matter what I do, the "lp" and "text" queues say printing
 |> is disabled.  However, the "ps" queue works fine.  This strangeness is
 |> illustrated in the shell output below.
 |
 |Check that your spool directories are writable and that there aren't any
 |stale files.

This was the tip-off I needed.  I backed up my spool dir and, one by one,
started removing files, restarting lpd, and seeing whether printing would work.

The culprit seemed to be the "lock" file in the "lp" and "text" queue
directories.  Each of them had only a single line in them with a number on
it (the process ID of the job, it looks like).  E.g.:

      1138

However, when I toasted the file and let lpd recreate it when a job was
printed to that queue, I got:

      1377
      cfA000stealth

Which lpd was much happier with (the queue was enabled for that and
subsequent lpd starts [rather than always disabled], and the jobs sent to
that queue would print).

I guess these old lock files might have come from my last FreeBSD 2.2.1
version, and the behavior of the 3.0 lpd seems to be to just refuse to
enable a queue when the lock file isn't of the right format.

Thanks for the help Doug!

Randall