Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 1996 14:06:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        DEBOOT <DEBOOT@reninet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux vs FreeBSD

On Wed, 14 Dec 1994, DEBOOT wrote:

> Hello I  am 16 years old and I am new to using unix and I was wondering if
> you could send me a short summary on why or what FreeBSD does that makes it
> better than Linux--Also will FreeBSD have a Dos emulator soon---I was very
> glad to find out that FreeBSD has a Linux emulator---Keep up the good work
> and I hope I get a response.

FreeBSD is oriented more towards stability and security than Linux is.
FreeBSD is also less tolerant of flaky hardware than Linux is.  There are
many such differences.

FreeBSD currently has a (weak) DOS emulator in (surprise) Linux's DOS
emulator, dosemu.  Hopefully, BSDi's DOS emulator 'rundos' will be making
an appearance, which will be head and shoulders above dosemu.

Yes, FreeBSD has a Linux emulator, a pretty good one at that.  It runs
a.out binaries only, unless you upgrade to FreeBSD-CURRENT and apply some
patches to get the elf recognition working.  It's good enough to run Doom,
WordPerfect and other such programs.  Not device drivers though.

Hope this helps.