Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 1996 21:22:16 -0400
From:      "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <metcalf@imagine.com>
To:        "FreeBSD questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Jeff at work" <Jeffrey_M._Metcalf@ccmail.bms.com>
Subject:   Installation probs and fdisk/pfdisk

Hello,

I was recently helping a friend of mine install FreeBSD on his system and
we ran into a problem partitioning with fdisk.  We partitioned the hard
drive
too small at first and decided that we wanted a bigger partition.
Unfortunately,
fdisk would no longer recognize the full capacity of the hard drive for
partitioning
and so we weren't able to restore the minimum size of the first partition
to its
original size.  We were brain damaged and forgot to make a backup of the
partition table before we hit it with fdisk.  We have an EIDE hard drive
and
are hoping that we can use the DOS utility pfdisk from the Walnut Creek
CDROM
or the FreeBSD fdisk (preferably pfdisk) to force the partition table back
into shape.
We don't know the native geometry of the hard drive, since the geometry
that
the BIOS reports and the geometry that FreeBSD's bootstrap reports can
sometimes be confusingly different.  To get to the point,  which geometry
should
we feed to pfdisk or FreeBSD's fdisk to fix things up?   The geometry that
would
report 64 cylinders or the one that reports 16 cylinders?  Do you know a
way
that we could be certain about the right value of the geometry once we
determine
which type is the correct one to to feed pfdisk/fdisk?

Thanks,

Jeffrey M. Metcalf
200 Ridgefield Drive
Middletown, CT 06457