Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:05:40 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        John Meredith <john@astarte.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bizarre FTP transfer problems

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 01:18:28PM +0100, John Meredith wrote:
> Sorry. I forgot to mention that the clients in question (CuteFTP, EditPlus!)
> transfer just over 8000bytes before stalling (I think the number was
> 8698bytes) or so.
>
> The logs on the server say that the files was transferred correctly.
>
> TIA.

Just throwing out ideas, but perhaps you are dealing with a bad
switch.  Especially would make sense if you had a mixture of 10 and
100 cards on your network.  Have you tried a different port, different
cable, that sort of thing?  And it might be useful to know if it
always dies at 8698 bytes, or just in that general area.  How about
ftp transfers TOO that machine from another server?  Or trying a
transfer via NFS.  Some of these steps might help in troubleshooting
the problem, but in my experience it sounds like bad hardware.

Josh