Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:54:31 +0900 (JST)
From:      Brian Handy <handy@isass0.solar.isas.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Serial I/O thruput

Hi folks,

I asked some questions a while back about 'Space Hardware', and got a
pile of really useful advice in short order.  Heady with success, I
thought I'd try this process again.

This time it's more dumb questions though.  I want to talk to three CCD
cameras, and I'd like to download data from these cameras just about as
fast as I can.  The communications bus is TBD; it could be serial
connections, parallel ports, heck, could even be USB maybe.  (Or some
other method I haven't been made aware of yet.)  I had originally thought
rather simplistically about using RS-232, since the board I'm looking at
has (I think) 4 serial ports.

However...I'm not sure how fast I can push data into the motherboard over
these ports.  I don't have any hardware yet (that's what the proposal is
for), so I can't really benchmark anything.  Is multiple serial ports (or
a multi-port serial card) a silly idea for this?  Any suggestions, and
what sort of transfer rates I can expect?  The only complicating factor is
I have to talk to three cameras, each of which is [baseline] capable of
generating 4MB of data every 10 seconds.

I should probably know this stuff.

Thanks,

Brian
--
Brian Handy                             Mail:  handy@physics.montana.edu
Department of Physics                   Phone: (406) 994-6317