Date:      Sat, 6 Aug 2011 22:14:26 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HAL issues
References:  <CAN6yY1v%2BQSZfjsx11NO-ZC9pYPAgCGrxsJFfP_FGA-7qrWr%2Beg@mail.gmail.com> <4E25E739.2020301@freebsd.org> <CAN6yY1vm3_fviB1KzBAGZn=akXBD6rPeEGwpeu_8OS7V4cis7w@mail.gmail.com> <4E277870.8010506@freebsd.org> <CAN6yY1srFGCysNj7D9Vg4xxmB9LGW3gEKfPQFUA7GmD-RavM=A@mail.gmail.com> <CAN6yY1t9dpCofRhH3JS2LSoQpwr6=4T1Ob_Ra6X7M=_8RaBStg@mail.gmail.com> <CAN6yY1uBXmgeR7Vr5BMx%2BB8VFDRoKh5H6AYAwcg4oiYYbHL6uA@mail.gmail.com> <4E34D33D.4090501@freebsd.org> <CAN6yY1tgAYnPjATuMfNwhNDRHgrwa438L41pBX6JQ0agwonDUw@mail.gmail.com> <CAN6yY1tjh2gN=dBubfFfR2-OrMP4wdy6B=aRWZFXp-jeu9e%2BrQ@mail.gmail.com> <4E3E18DE.8080001@freebsd.org>

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org> wrot=
e:
> On 8/3/11 6:15 PM, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 10:37 PM, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com> wrot=
e:

>>> No difference that I can see. When I plug the disk in, nothing
>>> happens. lshal only reports da0. If I do a geli attach of da0s3, all
>>> three file systems mount. All is as it should be. If I unmount all of
>>> them and disconnect/re-connect, nothing mounts, again. If I
>>> fsck_msdosfs /dev/da0s2, it mounts all three filesystems, but the file
>>> system on da0s1 is not added to .hal-mtab, so I have to edit the file
>>> to unmount it.
>>>
>>> All of this is exactly what was happening prior to the latest patch.
>>> The annotated hald verbose output is attached, though it may or may
>>> not be useful.
>>>
>>> If I get a bit of time, I'll build hald for debugging an see if I can
>>> find out what is happening. I've read enough of the code that I may be
>>> able to figure out what is needed. I assume that you don't have any
>>> disks configured to do this.
>>
>> Joe,
>>
>> Any clues about how to debug hald?
>>
>> I built hald with WITH_DEBUG and can start it in gdb, but I let it do
>> its initial
>> run and then interrupt and set break-points only to get:
>> Continuing.
>> *** [DIE] hald_runner.c:runner_died():204 : Runner died
>>
>> Program exited with code 01.
>>
>> Is there a way to avoid this or am I going to be stuck with debug via
>> print statements? :-(
>
> I never use WITH_DEBUG. =A0I think I was able to debug hald, but it's bee=
> a while. =A0I would build with "-g -O -pipe" and set STRIP=3D .
>
> I don't see what could be causing the problem you're seeing. =A0I suppose
> there may be a problem seeing all of the file systems on the disk. =A0I
> don't have a removable disk with multiple file systems, and I don't use
> geli. =A0You might be better off using printf's to look at the hf-storage
> code at the time the disk attaches. =A0Walk through the code paths there.

Thanks, Joe. I'll give it a try when I get a bit of time. Oddly, being reti=
red
doesn't seem to mean I have more free time than I had when working. :-(
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com