Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 18:22:09 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP : laptop power-down change

(I've taken this off -mobile, since it's not useful there.)

> In message <199812110200.SAA00591@dingo.cdrom.com> Mike Smith writes:
> : RB_HALT means "halt", while RB_POWEROFF means "power off".  On the i386
> : the two are a little blurred (because you don't normally halt except to
> : power off) - this just restores some consistency.
>
> Make halt generate a RB_POWEROFF and a halt -useless generate a
> RB_HALT. :-)

No.  RB_POWEROFF and RB_HALT have very different meanings.  The PC
doesn't have a useful means for getting back to the resident firmware,
but many other systems do.  That's what RB_HALT is meant to do, while
RB_POWEROFF is meant to power the system down.  The two are mutually
exclusive.