Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 09:22:37 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        John B P Melesky <john@smallflower.com>
Cc:        "Bill A. K." <billieakay@yahoo.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mail standards (was: IE for FreeBSD Petition)

On Monday, 22 May 2000 at 17:17:19 -0500, John B P Melesky wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>> I think this is a very bad idea.  Look at your mail message for one
>> good reason why: Microsoft software is just plain broken.  You
>> probably don't even realise that your message was written without line
>> breaks.  Isn't it much easier to read like this?
>
> actually, his email came through (to me, anyway), in multipart
> format, with both text and html versions, both in quoted-printable
> format. it was, in fact, perfectly standards compliant.

I don't know about the HTML version, but the text version didn't have
any line breaks.  RFC 822 is quite clear about how that kind of text
should be displayed.

> most email clients (pine and Netscape mail included) have either the
> ability to understand html minimally, or the ability to wrap
> incoming plaintext messages to the size of the window. the concept
> of using carriage returns to simulate line-wrapping is a hackish
> relic. *i* should not have to worry about the size of your
> window. *your window* should have to worry about the size of your
> window.

Well, if *you* don't care about the appearance of your messages, this
is adequate.  When *I* want to make a point, I want to make it in a
specific manner.  That's why I choose a format which doesn't expect
the recipient to reformat it.  Maybe you expect my mail reader to put
in the capitalization missing from your text, but I don't think that's
appropriate either.

> that's the point of open standards.

Well, hardly.

>> In the FreeBSD project, we're trying to get away from Microsoft, not
>> come closer to it.
>
> no. that may be why *you* use FreeBSD, but it is not what the FreeBSD
> project is trying to do. in fact, the only places i see MS mentioned
> anywhere on the FreeBSD site is in portions of the handbook dealing with
> multi-OS systems, and references to specific MS software (like
> FrontPage).

This is a contradiction?

>> If there were a counter-petition to ask Microsoft
>> *not* to port IE, I would sign it.
>
> then create such a petition. there is nothing keeping you from doing so.

> do not fault him for trying to get more software ported to FreeBSD.

That's not what I'm faulting him for.

> if any criticism should be offered, it's that the current stance
> (last i heard) was to encourage software companies to port to Linux,
> and rely on compatibility. if that position has changed, please
> correct me.

No, that's still the current position, and I agree with it.

Greg