Date:      Sat, 05 Jan 2002 15:21:53 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, re@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Could someone commit the change suggested in PR bin/32420?

At 02:38 PM 1/5/2002, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

>Of course, collecting log data for analysis from syslog is pretty
>low-tech when it comes to detecting and/or stopping attacks in
>real-time and I'd hope this wouldn't be encouraged as a general
>practice.

I can't see any reason not to use syslogd, or something like it,
as a source of information for an IDS or log monitor, though there
may of course be other sources of input for these facilities too.

>If that's your aim then you should be campaigning for a
>/dev/audit device and the instrumenting of suitable logpoints in the
>kernel and various utilities.  Then your stuff just opens /dev/audit,
>registers an event selection mask with it, and goes to sleep waiting
>for events.

The situation is a bit more complex than this. One will also want
the ability to do remote auditing -- something that a /dev/audit
wouldn't by itself allow. My personal opinion is that the architecture
of syslogd itself was fine when Eric created it but is now probably out
of date, and that a new backward compatible facility should be
crafted. But for the nonce, other things can be layered on top of
syslogd so long as the compression is disabled. This allows new ideas
to be tested without unduly perturbing anything.

The repeat counter causes log messages to be delayed for an indeterminate
amount of time and so one should be able to disable it. Archie's new
command line option does this. The only hitch I can foresee is that it
is global; that is, it applies to every destination. I'd like even more
to be able to disable compression on a per-line basis in syslog.conf.
(The internal data structures of syslogd make this convenient to
implement, because one struct is maintained per destination.) I've toyed,
for example, with the idea of using a single character prefix to indicate
that a file, remote machine, or piped app should not get log compression.
For example, a file with log compression would be designated as before --
e.g. /var/log/foo.log -- while one with no compression would be specified
as +/var/foo.log. Likewise, a piped app without compression would be
+|/usr/local/bin/mylogmonitor, and a remote machine that didn't want
compression (perhaps because it was running a log monitor at the
other end) would be +@host.domain.tld. The plus character is unambiguous
and so there wouldn't be problems with backward compatibility.

--Brett

--Brett