Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 2004 22:57:19 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        "Derrick MacPherson" <dmacpher@vfs.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Error in messages.

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 18:58, Derrick MacPherson wrote:
> I started seeing this today:
>
> Feb  4 07:00:00 mail /kernel: (da1:ahc0:0:2:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 0 2 c=
 1
> 5f 0 0 10 0
> Feb  4 07:00:00 mail /kernel: (da1:ahc0:0:2:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:20c01=
68
> asc:11,0
> Feb  4 07:00:00 mail /kernel: (da1:ahc0:0:2:0): Unrecovered read error
> sks:80,35
>
> I umounted the disk, dumped it's contents to a spare disk.
>
> Can you suggest some tests for this drive, or should I just get it
> replaced?

Manufacturers often provide downloadable software for evaluating the stat=
e of
their drives. But you'll probably need an MS OS to run it. But it is pret=
ty certain=20
that you have a corrupt sector which is probably not repairable. The soft=
ware
might allow you to encourage the drive to remap this sector to a spare.

An odd error report in normal operation might indicate just another rando=
m sector
failure and there are many; but most are repeatedly read until a valid re=
ad is=20
obtained and then an alternate sector is mapped in its place by the softw=
are/hardware
in the drive itself. Frequently however the first reported error is an in=
dicator of a failing
drive. Test software can tell you the current state of the drive but is u=
nlikely to be
a safe indicator for the early occurence of further failures.

Your best approach would depend on the value you put on the future integr=
ity of
the drive. If you were told that there was a 20% chance that your drive w=
ould=20
deteriorate rapidly would you be prepared to trust your data to it, for t=
he 80%
chance that it will be OK.

The 20/80% figures are of course just plucked out of the air - they may o=
r may not be=20
realistic in your case. My guess would be that if the drive ihas been in =
service for
a few years the probability that it has reach its end of life is higher t=
han 20%.

Only in the case of a quite new drive that has shown no other signs of we=
akness would
I possibly rate at less than 20%.

Then how much is your time worth to spend it on exhaustive testing. Drive=
s are really
rather cheap.

I guess even for home use I would dump it without investing any more time=
=2E

Malcolm
=20