Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 2014 03:57:30 -0500
From:      Mike Sanders <tmp1@freebsd.hypermart.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about XDM

Antoine Kallab wrote:

> Hello everybody,
> I'm new to BSD, so please bear with me if I ask a dumb question. Thanks!
> ---
> I am trying to set up XDM. I want it to drop me in to a minimal TWM session
> after I log in. Right now, it just flashes the screen and puts me back at
> the login window.
> From what I read in the handbook, there are a few configuration files in
> /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm that I need to change to get it to sing and dance in
> the way I want it to.
> If I remember correctly, it was Xsession that controlled what happened
> after a user logs in.
> Right now it is just an if/then loop that looks like it runs
> /usr/local/bin/xsm. Is that whole thing necessary? Can't I just tell it to
> run TWM?
> And if that loop is necessary, where would I add my bit for starting TWM?
> Google has been ZERO help.
>
> Many thanks in advance.

Hi Antoine.

Here's a paper I wrote last year on configuring XDM in FreeBSD.

You can download the pdf from my site:

<http://freebsd.hypermart.net/papers/freebsd-xdm.pdf>;

Or you can view the pdf online via google doc's viewer:

<https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://freebsd.hypermart.net/papers/freebsd-xdm.pdf>;

--
Mike Sanders
www: http://freebsd.hypermart.net