Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:31:59 +0100
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h@schmalzbauer.de>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.2-rel NFS lockup and networking performance

--Boundary-02=_T8UFAg9UwnXzlQE

On Monday 26 January 2004 13:10, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> I just upgraded one of my servers from 5.1 to 5.2.
> Now when I dd from a linux box on a nfs-mounted 5.2 testfile writing 100k=
Kb
> takes about 5 Minutes because the machine repeatedly "locks up". It seems
> every disk access is blocked for a while. (on the linux(debian woody) box:
> "dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/mnt/nfs/testfile bs=3D1k count=3D100000")

Dear coders,

I hate replying myself but I think it's neccessary.
The "lock up" problem is a bit more complex.

Like described I do the following on the linux box:
dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/mnt/nfs/testfile bs=3D1k count=3D100000

Now the first time it finishes ok (about 3.5Mbyte/s)
But when I repeat it takes up to 5 Minutes to finish since the FreeBSD mach=
ine=20
seems to be locked up.
In fact, the FreeBSD machine is still accessable via the console. Also ICMP=
=20
(ping) is working fine (from and to the FreeBSD box)
Existing ssh connections are also locked.
But I can setablish a second ssh handshake, I get the keyshandshake and ent=
er=20
my password (while the network seemed to be locked) but then don't get any=
=20
shell.
After some minutes when the machine relaxed every connection is fine again =
and=20
the newly created ssh connection establishes with the shell.

I don't know how this can be, but if someone has an idea what to debug, let=
 me=20
know.
Regrettably this box is my strongly needed production fileserver, so tommor=
row=20
I'll give up on 5.2 and go back to 4.9

Best regards,

=2DHarry