Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 1996 13:58:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Termcap vs. screen

Funny how what seems like it should be simple ends up being so
frustrating sometimes. Okay... another dumb question:

I have been trying to get 'screen' to work. It makes okay, installs okay
but what keeps messing up is that no matter what I do, it ALWAYS wants to
use its own idea of the screen (SC) termcap/terminfo entry. I have the
termcap source, and have been modifying it for our use here. Almost all of
my users are running some sort of DOS ANSI emulation (not at all
compatable with vt100), and we have our own termcap for them. I also
incorporate the termcap (screencap) entries when I make the terminal
database, and the /etc/termcap file CLEARLY shows our replacement SC
terminal type (and there is only 1 entry for it in termcap), and you can
select it using stty and all is well... Until you try to run screen... at
which time it reverts to what I can only assume to be a compiled-in
termcap of it's own, regardless of what the man page says and regardless
of what the initial settings for $TERM and $TERMCAP are.

Okay, what the heck have I overlooked this time?

Perplexed,
-Dave