Date:      Sat, 4 Apr 1998 00:37:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, gljohns@bellsouth.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: error when compiling kernel with SOFTUPDATES

> >> no.
> >
> >Yes.  Prove me wrong.  And yes, I know that the form you chose makes
> >it almost impossible, but that's no excuse.
>
> SMP is the reason, and I don't need an excuse for saying "no".

Besides which, he's right, unless you count inline functions as
macros, declare a global time value and access it opaquely (yeah,
we could cale it "time"... NOT), or depend on the las result being
in the first register, and the first register being used on returns
(ie: all the world's a VAX, and all compilers don't play tricks
with registers, and other [wrong] assumptions).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.