Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:09:13 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        chris@calldei.com
Cc:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running FreeBSD off of CDROM

In message <20010124200618.C776@holly.calldei.com> Chris Costello writes:
:    What you'd need is a writable medium, preferable a hard disk,
: with whatever file system you want to use on it, and a CD with a
: stripped-down FreeBSD installation, complete with a kernel that
: matches your hardware.

You don't need a writable medium to run FreeBSD.  Well, I take that
back, you do need a writable partition, but that can be mfs.  We run
off CF which is mounted read only with the usual rc.diskless tricks
for creating /var and /dev.  Similar techniques could be used for
booting off of cdrom.

Warner