Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2006 20:35:46 -0700
From:      "Atom Powers" <atom.powers@gmail.com>
To:        "Olivier Nicole" <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disable ScrollLock key

On 10/20/06, Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th> wrote:
> How to disable the ScrollLock key on a FreeBSD 4.11 console?
>
> I mean disable it for good, 100%, dead, like it was simply physacally
> not there.

I'm wondering why you would want to do this.

But here's how you may be able to:

1. Find the scan code for the ScrollLock key, I don't know what it is
off the top of my head, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.
2. Go into /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/ and "nop" every action for that
scan code in every file.

It is smarter to just "nop" it for the keymap you plan on using, or
better still to create a new keymap with the scroll-lock key disabled
and set that as your default.

Your key will still be there, and it will still send it's scan code to
the system, but the system won't do anything with it. But other
devices, like KVM switches, will still process the key press.

Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--