Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:10:17 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        perl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rebuild all ports for perl minor version update?

--4LwthZj+AV2mq5CX

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 05:49:41AM -0400, Jerry wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:18:31 +0200
> John Marino articulated:
>=20
> > According to OpenBSD's Marc Espie on a pkgsrc list, a lot of
> > established scripts will break on perl 5.18.  Apparently it is not
> > highly backwards compatible.
> >=20
> > A large % of the perl packages would cease to build if they just
> > moved to 5.18.  A minor upgrade is definitely better.
>=20
> So what does that mean for the future of Perl-5.18 & FreeBSD? I haven't
> seen any unusual chatter in other forums for other OSs regarding a
> problem with Perl-5.18. Hell, even SlashDot has not had any negative
> chatter that I am aware of and they are always the first to jump on any
> software problem, real or imaginary. Is this a FreeBSD "specific"
> problem and if so, what is being done to eradicate it?
>=20

This is not a FreeBSD "specific" problem given that Marc Espie is from Open=
BSD
and so was speaking of problems found on OpenBSD. using google I found the =
said
mail quite quickly:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2013/06/03/msg011435.html

Where Marc gives example of changes in perl 5.18 that can lead to breakage.

regards,
Bapt

--4LwthZj+AV2mq5CX

--4LwthZj+AV2mq5CX--