Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 1996 15:17:16 -0500
From:      Jerry Kendall <jerry@border.com>
To:        Benjamin Tomhave <tomhavbe@martin.luther.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote X-windows

Yes you can do what you ask...

Set the environment variable 'DISPLAY' to something like

setenv DISPLAY machine.domain.com:0.0

then run your netscape...

On Tue, 20 Feb 1996, Benjamin Tomhave wrote:

> Hello, all!
>
> This is a little bit of a strange question....
>
> Netscape 2.0 on an HP9000 supports Java. I would like to see what Java does.  So,
> I thougt to myself, why not install Netscape on an HP9000 and then open Netscape
> onto my machine w/ X-Windows (my machine being the machine w/ FreeBSD 2.1). So,
> here's what I'm wondering:  Is it possible for me to start Netscape from a diff.
> machine so that it opens the window on my machine? If so, what's the trick? I
> tried using rsh with an exec string after it to start an xterm, but that didn't
> work (probably because rlogin is disabled on the HP).  But, assuming that I can
> use rsh (if necessary) to access the HP, is it possible, then, to run Netscape
> on the HP, but with the window being on my machine w/ FreeBSD?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> -ben

Any comments or opinions in this message are my own and may or may not reflect
the comments or opinions of my present or previous employers.

                    Jerry Kendall      Border Network Technologies Inc.
         System Software Engineer      Tel +1-416-368-7157 ext 303
                 jerry@border.com      Fax +1-416-368-7178