Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 15:27:52 -0600
From:      Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>
To:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>
Cc:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why not another style thread? (was Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libc/gen getgrent.c)

On Sunday, December 17, 2000, Bosko Milekic wrote:
> 	Agreed. However, in the kernel, all free()s should be made as in (1),
>   in my opinion. (2) is dangerous, and (3) would just obfuscate the code.
>   (I know this does not apply to the commit, but should be noted)

   Yes, I agree; however free() in the kernel is an entirely
different case and is not governed by the C standard.  If you ask
anyone in comp.lang.c, they'll tell you that our kernel is only
written in a language _similar_ to C, and I can understand that,
because many standard C functions behave differently in the
kernel.  (malloc and free come to mind, obviously.)