Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:17:05 -0400
From:      John Brann <john@brann.org>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   dgettext problem with plugin

Hi,

I have been bitten by the dgettext problem:

I had a working mozilla with native java plugin (0.99, I think).

I cvsupped ports after mozilla was upgraded to rc1.

Ran portupgrade - jdk1.3.1 had moved to p6_4 so it wanted to be rebuilt -
I did this.

gettext (0.11.1) and gettext-old (0.10.35) were already installed and
did not prompt for rebuilds.

jdk and mozilla both built and installed correctly.

Starting mozilla from a command line shows:

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so [/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so: Undefined symbol "dgettext"]

I forcibly deleted and rebuilt both gettext and gettext-old.  Both rebuilt,
same problem.

I deleted them again, and the jdk and rebuilt the jdk.  The jdk did an
implicit build of gettext-old (only) and failed to build the plugin
(unable to find libintl.h).  I rebuilt gettext and the jdk now built
correctly.

/usr/local/lib contains:
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel     12 Apr 30 09:34 /usr/local/lib/libintl.so@ -> libintl.so.2
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  31367 Apr 30 09:34 /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.2

and

nm /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.2 | grep dgettext

gives me:

000017a4 T dgettext
00001cfc T dgettext__

So the text entries are in the shared library.

I don't get it.  Help!!

John

--
        Unreal City,