Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 18:06:51 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Kenneth Ingham <ingham@i-pi.com>
To:        smoo@jump.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Modems

> How is it that you set up a modem under FreeBSD? I got the CD,
> everything installed great, except I can't access the modem

You didn't say what you wanted to do with the modem.  THese instructions
will let you type to it.  In fact, I used a varient to log in from my
FreeBSD laptop to the machien where I am sending this.  (PPP will come
soon for those that are wondering :-).

Connect a properly-wired cable beetween your modem and computer
(assuming that you are using an external modem).  My example will assume
port 0.

When you boot, make sure that sio0 was found.

as root type:

cu -l /dev/cuaa0 -s 19200 dir

If you change the permissions on /dev/cuaa0, you can do it as an
ordinary user.

You might want a speed oteher than 19200.  You might want to use a comm
program other than cu (primitive).  Kermit, tip, and seyon are others
that exist.

Kenneth