Date:      Sun, 26 Jul 1998 21:22:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What tipped the balance

	My story is a bit different from your's Sue. Like (I suspect) many
others on this list, I am a career computer geek. :) The company I was
working for opened up a small Internet provider at my insistance. I found
a good Linux administrator who helped us get everything setup and baby
sit the entire system. He chose Redhat 4.0. While I was impressed with
what a UNIX system in general could do, my personal experiences with
Linux up to that point had been disappointing. I had installed both 1.0
and 2.2 on my computer and had them deleted within a week as I didn't
have the time to play with a whole new operating system.
	Anyways, the Net stuff went ok, but we had too many small
unexplainable problems. The Web Server would crash with only three people
acessing it, modems would drop out intermittently, etc. After several
months we ended up putting in a FreeBSD box just to route traffic and our
problems almost completly disappeared. (Our remaining problems were
traced to a poorly installed piece of equipment by the phone company.)
	Later on I started working for Rod Grimes who is on the core team.
He showed me through installing and building commercial grade systems
what FreeBSD really could do. (Including, FYI the machine that is now
ftp.cdrom.com) Since then, my opinions of both systems has changed
dramatically. FreeBSD isn't THE answer for everyone, but if you're doing
any kind of routing and file serving it's perfect. While Linux is a good
desktop system.

						Rick