Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 10:17:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Julian Assange <proff@suburbia.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Am I wrong or is this just stupid?r

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
> > Keeping in mind that install is before ${CLEANDIR},  I believe the idea
> > is to remake the tools _with_the_new_tools_ before using them to remake
> > other things. i.e if you upgraded to gcc2.7.2 then first make gcc2.7.2
> > with your old gcc, then remake it with the new one.
>
> But none of these "new tools made with new tools" are going to have
> any relevance at all to your build since they won't be installed until
> *after* everything else has been built with the "new tools made with
> old tools" :-)

But they are relevant to the system working from that point on.  Again,
doing dependencies means you have to go through the system 'twice', so
the current method leaves you with the *least* chance of having buggy
tools in the system, but still leaves the option open for having used
buggy tools to build some good tools.  If you want to avoid everything
else, then run a second 'make clean all install' in make world, which
should *really* slow it down. :)

Nate