Date:      12 Feb 2001 09:50:51 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installworld Problem.

dougy@bryden.apana.org.au (Doug Young) writes:

> I've been getting that "Error 1" from ports ever since I moved to 4.2. For
> what its worth the problem was made considerably worse when I installed
> CVSUP. Similarly to the situation you have reported, there isn't enough
> information provided to help figure out exactly where the problem is ....
> I'm guessing its some sort of timeout though.

I'm afraid that's completely unhelpful, Mr. Young.  "Error 1" is
coming from make(1), and all it indicates is that some command
returned an error value to make; it doesn't tell you anything about
the error itself.  This problem has nothing to do with yours (yours
appears to be a problem with fetch(1) making data connections to the
FTP sites; if I had to guess, I'd say there is probably a firewall in
between causing the problem).

I don't have that file at all, and my world is only a week or so old.
Try another cvsup run and rebuild, because the problem was probably
transient (in fact, it's good advice to *always* wait an hour or so
and try again before reporting problems in development sources).
Alternatively, build and install with NOPERL=true, and you should at
least get past this particular problem.

Good luck.