Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 12:40:13 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange error

Matthew N. Dodd wrote...
> On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> > Matthew N. Dodd wrote...
> > > On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> > > Oct 14 17:56:23 eisa-test /kernel: (da2:bt0:0:2:0): READ CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> > > Oct 14 17:56:23 eisa-test /kernel: (da2:bt0:0:2:0): NOT READY asc:4,2
> > > Oct 14 17:56:23 eisa-test /kernel: (da2:bt0:0:2:0): Logical unit not ready, initializing cmd. required
> > > Oct 14 17:56:23 eisa-test /kernel: (da2:bt0:0:2:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device(da2:bt0:0:2:0): removing device entry
> > >
> > > When I boot with media in the drive.
> > >
> > > Most annoying this behavior.  I'm not sure why it thinks it needs to
> > > remove the device entry.
> >
> > Did the patch I sent fix that problem?
>
> I believe so.  I get a panic every time when the media is in the drive
> though. :)  dasendorderedtag or something like that.  I've got problems
> with my serial console right now so I can't capture the error.

That's not good.  Send me a stack trace when you get your serial console
working.

> > Well, I've taken a look through the spec (yes, the whole thing), and I
> > didn't really see anything that would indicate what the problem is.
>
> That was my thought as well.  They went a good ways towards documenting
> the whole of the SCSI spec in that doc didn't they. :)

Yeah, some vendors have a tendency to do that.  It comes in handy
sometimes, since you don't have to look at both their docs and the scsi
spec.  There is a lot of vendor-specific stuff that's documented in there,
though.

> > So, I've got a couple of ideas:
> >
> > 	- Hook it up to an NT box (or some other platform that HP supports)
> > 	  and see whether it works.  I know this is distasteful, and you
> > 	  might have to install some HP drivers to make it work, but it
> > 	  would tell us whether there is a hardware problem or not.
>
> I've got a Win95 box so I'll see if I can get it to work.

Yeah, sounds like a good idea.

> > 	- If it works under NT, send me the changer and I'll try to get it
> > 	  to work.  We've got SCSI analyzers here and can send bus traces
> > 	  to HP if necessary.
>
> This is a rather large unit.  :)  UPS probably won't take it as its around
> 100 lbs.  I've got 2 of them so I've really got no problems shipping one
> to you otherwise.

Well, I dunno about UPS, but I've seen FedEx take large packages before.
(like Pluto VideoSpace boxes, Ampex DST drives, etc.)

> Let me play with it a bit more and pull one of them apart and see if I can
> get it working standalone outside the changer.  It may be that the drive
> is just really dirty and needs cleaning.  (sensors obscured etc.) Though
> it is rather odd that both units exhibit the same errors.
>
> Where are gyou guys located anyway?

Boulder, CO.

Ken
--