Date:      Mon, 11 May 2015 10:04:42 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        David Banning <david+dated+1431716630.bb1941@skytracker.ca>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: permissions and ownership of /usr/src

Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> writes:

> On Sun, 10 May 2015 15:03:44 -0400, David Banning wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me what the permissions - ownership are/should
>> be for /usr/src ?
>
> /usr/src should belong to root:wheel and have rwxr-xr-x permissions
> (those are the defaults). Does mergemaster indicate an error for
> /usr/src itself or for a subdirectory thereof?

Or, if the bandwidth isn't a big deal, remove the whole tree and do a
fresh "svn checkout". Or remove the directory where the error is
happening, and do an "svn update".

But, basically, everything shown looks fine (assuming that svn is being
run by root, which doesn't necessarily have to be the case), and the
actual error message almost certainly indicated a more precise problem.

> You probably can restore /usr/src by using the mtree specification
> in /etc/mtree/BSD.usr.dist.

mtree won't help. That's because the ownership of the source tree isn't
very important, as long as untrusted users can't write to it. The truly
paranoid might create a dedicated user with virtually no access rights
*except* to the source tree. Group write access may needed in some
setups as well.