Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:34:56 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        Richard Martin <dmartin@origen.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with natd and simple firewall

On 7/25/00, 12:18:04 AM, Richard Martin <dmartin@origen.com> wrote=20
regarding Re: Problems with natd and simple firewall:

> On the other hand, I do see packets hitting the other inbound RFC 1918=
=20
filters
> from time to time.  Someone should have a talk with those routers...  =

A low
> level concern, but still a concern

<ME TOO>I have regularly (maybe I should say "systematically") been=20
logging RFC-1918-spoofed packets coming through my ISP in the past few=20
months.</ME TOO>

I have also been using a closed (stateful) packet filter.=20

Needless to say, I phoned my ISP "technicians", I also sent mail, but=20
I still regularly see those packets almost every day. What's more,=20
this is, er, a big national (!) ISP in my country.

The (IPv4) 'Net may be insecure by ... definition, but this kind of=20
thoughtlessness seems to me even worse. =20

Best regards,
Salvo