Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:48:59 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@rocky.mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Michael Reilly <michaelr@cisco.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM TP 600

> > Does anyone have instructions for installing 2.2.8 or 3.1 on an IBM
> > ThinkPad 600?
>
> I just installed FreeBSD 2.2.8 on my TP600E, and it worked fine.
> However, I needed to make sure APM was disabled or it hangs.  I'll look
> into why that is, but for now it installs.

I found out why.  It was for the same reason that everyone else has
problems, and it's due to the memory sizing being wrong.  Once I set it
to the correct size, the box has been *ROCK SOLID*.

I am *VERY* pleased with this box.  It's faster than my 300Mhz box for
compiles (the laptop has a 366Mhz chip), although for disk I/O SCSI
still kicks it's butt.

The only issue I have left is to get the CardBus code working in PCMCIA
mode.  I've got it hacked to have my 3Com card working with the zp
driver, but it's very fragile, and I need to make it work with regular
PCMCIA support.

In short, it's highly recommended, and will be even more recommended
once I get the CardBus stuff figured out.

Nate