Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 00:17:20 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>, Edmund_L_Mulligan@armstrong.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Supported Hardware in FreeBSD

At 10:32 AM 7/27/98 -0700, rick hamell wrote:

>> There are versions of the Celeron on the way that do have some L2 cache on
>> board, but only 128 instead of 512(?).
>
>	I've had some pretty good luck with AMD chips. They're still a heck
>of a lot cheaper then Celeron or PII chips, seem to run as well and
>fast and in some cases better then PII, plus the motherboards are
>cheaper too for the same quality!

I agree here. Although I just saw some new CPU prices and the Celeron 300
(no cache version) costs the same as a K6-300, $149.

>> The Celeron uses the same socket, but a different support system.  The
chip will
>> fit into the socket but may or may not be mechanically secure.  It uses a
>
>	The Celeron uses Intel's 'Slot II' technology, which is of course,
>different enough from the 'inferior' Slot I technology.

Er...No. The Celeron still uses Slot I technology. It can fit into any
existing Pentium II board out there. It just doesn't have the plastic
housing around the printed circuit board. That means the CPU can't lock
into the socket like Pentium IIs can.
I haven't seen how a CPU fan fits onto the Celeron.

>	As did I. What really stopped me from going Pentium II of any flavor
>is the stupid ATX design. All the higher end Motherboards I'd use with
>Pentium II only come in ATX style, as clumsy as I am I know I'd hit that
>soft push power button and screw my system completly. :)

Some of the BIOSes let you alter what the power switch does. Some make you
hold it for four seconds or something like that. Besides, you can always
leave the front power switch disconnected (and set the BIOS to
turn-on-after-power-failure mode) as ATX power supplies have a master power
switch in the back of them.

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com ludwigp@chipweb.ml.org
ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org