Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2013 09:33:03 -0600
From:      Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
To:        Selphie Keller <selphie.keller@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GPT issues with device path lengths involving make_dev_physpath_alias

It's a compatibility problem.  If you change that constant, then any
binaries built with the old value will break if they rely on it having
a fixed value in a system or library call.  For example, the
MFIIO_QUERY_DISK ioctl in the mfi(4) driver passes a structure with an
array of size SPECNAMELEN + 1.  If you change SPECNAMELEN, then you'll
have to add a compatibility mechanism for this ioctl.  I'm sure there
are other places that would have the same problem.

Happy Hacking.