Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 13:44:49 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, "Greg Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mysterious boot during the night

Andrew writes:

> Just to be safe, I'd still seek some kind of
> diagnostic just to make sure.

That would not be logical.  Hardware failures are extremely rare; software
failures are extremely common.  It doesn't make sense to spend time trying to
rule out hardware (which is never actually possible, anyway) when a software
error is more likely to be the culprit.

> I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe that
> if you CVSupped to the newest version, it might
> include the fix.

I have something that I got somewhere with cvsup; maybe it was source, or the
latest ports, or something.  I don't know exactly what source is currently on
the machine.

In general, I do not update an entire operating system in a shotgun approach to
fixing a problem of unknown origin, as it often causes more problems than it
solves.

> Your best bet, I believe, is going to be to talk
> with sos and see about getting the patch either
> MFC'd to the STABLE branch, or to get a copy of the
> patch yourself and apply it.

Who is sos?

How do I know that this patch will fix the problem?