Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 07:53:10 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Edwin Culp <eculp@webwizard.org.mx>, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ELF kernels (was: Make elf release)

On Tuesday, 13 October 1998 at 17:09:30 +0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> Studded wrote:
>> Mike Smith wrote:
>>
>>> There's some (understandable) resistance to putting an ELF kernel in
>>> 3.0, so the changeover will probably happen a few weeks afterwards.  At
>>> that stage we'll shift to the new bootloader as well.
>>
>> 	I still think getting the pain over now is a good idea. Leaving a major
>> change for after the "release" will just postpone by one more quarter
>> the time when 3.0 has a chance of being stable.
>
> Unfortunately, I agree, in part at least.  The biggest difficulty in doing
> a changeover is upgrading the stage2 bootblocks.  If we get the 3.0 CD
> installing ELF-capable bootblocks (even if it's a hacked biosboot), then
> it's going to make the transition *so* much easier.  It's not a question
> of flipping a switch, we've got to get the bootblocks upgraded.  If we
> could get the 3.0 release sysinstall to do this for us it would be a big
> win.
>
> Ideally there should be a choice in sysinstall, and sysinstall could
> change them on the fly.  If somebody installed a system and the new
> bootblocks didn't work, it'd be nice if it was as simple as booting the
> floppy and downgrading to the older system.
>
> IMHO, whether /kernel is a.out or elf is far less of an issue than which
> bootblocks we use.

I'm not sure whether you're talking about the same issue that Doug
(Studded) is.  I think moving to an ELF kernel 2 days before code
freeze would be a disaster.  It would certainly reduce functionality
by the number of LKMs which haven't been converted to KLDs, and would
presumably add opportunities for bugs in that area.

Greg