Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:52:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        mvh@ix.netcom.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: softupdates mess in src/sys/ufs/ffs

In article <20000622041129.02E19E6FEF@netcom1.netcom.com>,
Mike Harding  <mvh@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I just did a 'cvsup' of 4.0-RELENG and the soft update links in
> /usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs got deleted.  Created them again, ran cvsup
> again, and they got deleted again.  Anyone know what's going on?

I just found out about this this morning.  There's a bit of a
mess in that directory.  Somebody put the softupdates files into
/home/ncvs/src/sys/ufs/ffs manually on June 21.  The files were
damaged -- each one had two RELENG_3 tags pointing to different
branches.  That caused cvsup-master's cvsup jobs to start dying
prematurely.  (Yes, the dying should be considered a bug.)

I deleted the offending files from src/sys/ufs/ffs just now.  Now
here is what I think will happen to all of you.  On your next CVSup
update, it will delete your softupdates files and/or symlinks in
src/sys/ufs/ffs.  Let that go ahead and happen.  Then you should be
able to create your symlinks again and have them remain untouched by
CVSup thereafter.

Please don't anybody try to move softupdates into that directory
again without talking to me first.

John