Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:57:20 -0600
From:      Julian Peterson <weaver@earthcorp.com>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>, "Gerardo Enrique Paredes" <gerardo_enrique_paredes@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: OH MY GOD

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:29 pm, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Gerardo writes:
> > Red Hat Linux Professional costs $199.95 x86
> >
> > Holy sh*t, they are getting perversely greedy ...
>
> I predicted this long ago.  What did you expect?  Red Hat and other Linux
> distributors are not in business out of an altruistic desire to bring
> computing to the masses free of charge.  They'll make as much money as
> they can, in any way they can, just like any other company (including
> much-hated Microsoft).

Oh please.  You can still download *everything* (as iso images if you wish)
that comes with RH Pro from their website.  You can also buy the base CD's
(all you really need anyway) for a couple of bucks from cheapbytes and
linuxmall.

But no, of course they're not doing it completely altruistically.  They're
a company.  They're there to make money.  The method they choose is through
support and services, and that seems to be working for them thus far.
On the flip side they help Linux a lot by providing full time programmers
to work on open source software, and the whole community benefits there.

But you can (legally =p) have a fully working RH system without paying them
a dime.

> > ... i see now why no one want to make a commercial
> > distribution of FreeBSD, because, US, the comunity
> > aroung FreeBSD love FreeBSD so much that we keep
> > it at the right price FREE!!!
>
> Another good reason is that FreeBSD works as-is, "out of the box."  You
> don't have to add a "distribution" with half the code in it just to get a
> complete operating system environment.

err, FreeBSD is just like a "distribution", 'cept there's only one to
choose from.  You don't "add a distribution", you choose one that packages
everything you need. And they too work out of the box (that's the whole
point after all).  If you don't like the idea of commercial distributions,
there's Debian for example.