Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 1999 20:17:35 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        avenger <arch@ecis.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: old Soundblaster 16

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 05:45:43PM -0700, avenger wrote:
> if anyone has a sb16 i need your help! my sb16 is the older non PNP card
>
> i have an old Soundblaster 16 circa 1992. In my kernel now i have
>
> controller snd0
> device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
> device opl0 at isa? port 0x300
>
> ive already tried
> device sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x300
>
> (my midi is on 300H just because thats where ive had it, although yes ive
> already tried 330H which is the factory default)
>
> ive also tried
> device opl0 at isa? port 0x388
>
> When i boot, it sees the sb0 yes warns me i need to use SB Pro Support (?!?)
> also, it cant find any of the supported midi devices.
>
> i did /dev/MAKEDEV snd0
> and i cant get any sound... If anyone can help me i really need it, im getting
> frustrated with this sound card.
>
> Thank you very much for your time,

	If you are running the 3.2 kernel you may need to use the pcm
	driver and rebuild and install a new kernel with the following
	line replacing your present ``sb0'':

	#sound card SB16 ISA PNP
	device          pcm0 at isa ? port ? irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0

	The irq may well need to be 5 as you have it currently.

	To the best of my knowledge, there are only a handful of us
	using the old SB16.  Mine dates from 1995 and still works
	just fine for signal generation and so forth.  (I'm still
	running 2.2.8 with my SB16... .)

	gary