Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 18:42:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getty binary corrupted

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Veggy Vinny wrote:

> 	We have two machines running -CURRENT and on one of them, the
> machine won't boot since the getty binary is corrupted....  What is the
> easiest way to transfer the file from the working machine since I know
> floppies would be the easiest way but how do I get the file on to the
> floppy since I've never used floppies on a FreeBSD system before...  I
> know I can just boot the other machine in single user mode and mount the
> /usr partition and the floppy and just copy the file there...  Here is the
> message I'm getting when booting up....  any help would be appreciated...

Copy it to a floppy (use a MSDOS floppy for ease).

1) Boot to single user mode (Boot: -s).
2) Run 'mount -a' to mount up everything.
3) Run 'mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt' to mount the floppy onto /mnt.
4) Run 'cp /mnt/getty /usr/libexec'.
5) Run 'chmod 555 /usr/libexec/getty' to set the permissions right.
6) Run 'umount /mnt' to dismount the floppy.
7) Run 'exit' to continue booting.