Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 1996 10:15:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        Mark Nielsen <men@auto.med.ohio-state.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, Mark Nielsen <men@auto.med.ohio-state.edu>
Subject:   Re: Hello! I have an installation question.

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Mark Nielsen wrote:

> I have installed FreeBSD 2.1.5 onto my computer.
>
> After I booted, I wanted to do some post installation steps.
> I made the /usr/ports directory and copied over the links from the
> second cdrom.
>
> The problem with installing packages is that one cdrom has the binaries
> and the other cd-rom contains make files.

One cd-rom has packages, which are precompiled binaries that can be
installed with pkg_add.  The other has make files, source code, md5
checksums, etc.

> When I select packages in the post installation, the /stand/sysinstall
> program will attempt to install programs even if the wrong cd-rom is in.

So . . . put the right cd-rom in.

> For example, I select to install "lynx" and "netscape". Well, lynx gets
> installed just fine, but netscape does not because it is on the second
> cdrom in the ports subdirectory.
>
> This is reall annoying. How am I to know which packages is on which cd
> without manually listing the files on the cdroms?
>
> Also, I could get XFree86 to compile correctly. It would have been really
> great if the binaries were pre-compiled. But, apparently they were not.
> Bummer.

They are.

> I am really impressed with the concepts behind the structure of FreeBSD,
> but I don't want to have an operating system where the installation program
> doesn't really work that well -- and I would like XFree86 to be pre-compiled.

The package system has its bugs, yes.  But I've found the ports
collection to work pretty well.  Have you tried installing this stuff on
a unix other than FreeBSD?

> I also was able to get netscape installed by putting in the second cd and
> going to ports/www/netscape2 and typing in "make". Real easy. I would
> just like to be able to not have to do it manually for ever single program.
>
> Mark

 Ben