Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 19:40:22 -0300
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble with 4.3-RELEASE compiler

Hi,

    I was installing a squid server with 4.3-RELEASE, and found that
FreeBSD has now a bug in the compiler that affects squid.  The default
compilation of squid is with CFLAGS=-g -O2 -Wall, and this setup
triggers the bug.

    I've left a trimmed down copy of the problem files at
ftp://ftp.jonny.eng.br/hidden/jonny/trouble.tgz, compile it with
gcc -g -O2 -Wall teste.c rfc1035.c, and see the bug happening.  Remove
the -O2 or change it for -O, and see it going away.

    Should this be a reason to roll back the compiler to version
2.95.2, as it was before Tue Apr 10 19:23:19 2001 UTC, when it
changed to 2.95.3?  What to do with the upcoming CDs?

					Jonny

--
João Carlos Mendes Luís			jonny@jonny.eng.br
  Networking Engineer			jcml@ieee.org