Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:19:53 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com>
Cc:        config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WebAdmin (was: RE: /usr/src/release/sysinstall needs YOU. :-))

> OK.  Enough goading.  :-)

OK.  8)  I saved this mesasge because it's a good place to start
plugging Juliet again.  8)

> I don't feel qualified enough to start down this path alone.  There
> are a lot of nontrivial security issues to deal with, and a lot of
> nontrivial configuration issues to deal with, too.

This becomes easier when you layer the security issues.  I would stop
worrying about them for starters.

> Here are a few things I'd like to see in a web-based admin tool:
>  - DNS administration
>  - user config
>  - NFS config
>  - mounting
>  - mirroring

Each of these can be considered in two parts; the backend which
manipulates the current configuration "database", and the frontend
which provides the window-dressing for the user.

The backend for any of the above can be trivially implemented as a
module inside the juliet framework.  The frontend is up to the HTML
people out there. 8)

>  - apache config (?)
>  - samba config (admin-loadable module?  :-) )

Modules can come from anywhere, even packages.

>  - lynx friendly

This is an issue for frontend design.  It means that you need to rule
out any client-side smarts at all in the frontend.

>  - config replication (act like that machine there)

LDAP makes this *very* easy.

>  - ports management

That's really just another module.

> My questions to -hackers at large would be:
>  - any other admin type things that should be included?
>  - any other security issues that should be considered?
>  - ideas for extensibility?
>
> Hopefully I should have something started in a few weeks.

Please don't start until you've looked at what's already on the table;
it'd be nice to coordinate things.  I'd suggest subscribing to -config
and brawling it out there where it's meant to be.

> Rhythm deficient bassist for Necessity & the Mothers of Invention

Argh.  More musicians. 8)
\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\