Date:      Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:53:16 -0400
From:      "J. Hellenthal" <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Mark Morley <mark@islandnet.com>
Cc:        Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS pool on FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE broken?

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 14:34, mark@ wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 13:38:54 -0500 Scot Hetzel  wrote: On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Mark Morley  wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have a small backup server (8.2-STABLE). ???It boots from ufs and has azfs pool for backups that consists of 8 drives configured as 4 mirrored devices, totally around 2.5 TB.
>>
>> Been working great, no issues, until the past few days when remote rsyncsto it have started to get very slow (it's only at around %50 capacity). ???Rebooting it helps for a while, then it gets slow again. ???But this isn't the problem now...
>>
>> After the last reboot, it froze while booting right at the point where the file system gets mounted. ???No errors, it just doesn't proceed past the ZFS version message.
>>
>> I rebooted single user and tried to access it with "zpool status", and the command hangs in the same way. ???Any attempt to access it ("zfs list", for example) does the same thing.
>>
>> The disks themselves seem fine. ???They are all connected to a pair of Adaptec RAID controllers (configured as individual drives, with mirroring handled by zfs) and the controller software shows them all to be intact.
>>
>> I disabled zfs in rc.conf and was able to boot, but I can't access the pool.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to diagnose and hopefully repair this?
>>

> Your going to need to download a recent -CURRENT ISO that contans zfs
> v28, then you can try to recover the pool as outlined in this post
> http://opensolaris.org/jive/message.jspa?messageID=445269
>
> Well, what I did was rebuild world and kernel top 9.0-CURRENT and reboot.  It was able to see and access the zfs file system immediately without having to import it.  I did a zpool upgrade to v28 and all seems well so far.

He specifically does not need -9 to get v28 code for this recovery
operation. Martin Matuska does a pretty swell job of keeping these [1]
up-to-date so in-case something does go wrong it can be fixed fairly
quickly without having to go through and rebuild this and that.

1. http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/

--

  Regards,

  J. Hellenthal