Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 11:14:55 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, jehamby@lightside.com, jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.x release question

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:

> > > 1) More pounding on devfs (is it planned as a standard feature installed
> > > by sysinstall, or more of an optional feature installed by hand?)
> >
> > The latter. AFAIK, Julian still hasn't solved the persistance problem
> > (though we discussed a number of different ways it could be done
> > fairly trivially and I don't know what's holding him up) and people running
> > with it as their /dev still show an unfortunate tendency to crash a lot,
> > so no.
>
> I thought it was supposed to generate devices dynamically based on
> hardware presence, not persistently based on user fiat.

The issue with persistence is that not everyone is happy with the
default permissions puked up by the drivers.  Our embedded boxes, for
example, want /dev/io 0660, which would be insane for a production
system.

In essence, the "persistence" for devfs needs to hold :

 - ownership
 - permissions
 - symlinks

IMHO, there's nothing there that can't be achieved with a script
argument to mount_devfs, although it could be argued that because the
devfs has to be mounted before the script could be processed there is
a potential window of vulnerability there.