Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 20:19:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
To:        APRIM@mv3900.svl.photronics.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation Errors

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996 APRIM@mv3900.svl.photronics.com wrote:

> My name is Aprim and recently started taking UNIX class.
> As my instuctor recommended I purchased FREEBSD CDs to have'm=20
> installed in my 486-33MHz computer. Today is the forth week that I=20
> have been trying.  I also been calling Tech Support more than 15=20
> times, asking them questions.  Anyway, David from Tech Support gave me
> your E-mail address so I can briefly mail all the installation=20
> problems I have.  Here they are:

This E-Mail address, or the FreeBSD newsgroups, are what you'll usually
use for tech support.  All Walnut Creek really does is sell CDs with
FreeBSD on them --- it doesn't make or support FreeBSD (although it does
contribute to the project in its own very important way).

This email address is a mailing list of people who are subscribed to the
freebsd-questions list.  They are people who for some inexplicable reason
get their kicks by answering people's FreeBSD-related questions (IOW
they're volunteers, as is most everyone associated with FreeBSD).

> I went through changing my hardware so CDROM can be recognize by=20
> FreeBSD which couldn't at beginning.  I had 1 DOS Partition (1.6 GB=20
> H.D) which had to delete it so I can make another Partition for=20
> FreeBSD (made 300MB).  To make it short, for two weeks tried to use
> installation from CDROM using Tech Support help finally I quit on that
> and decided to do it Using DOS Partition.

Does FreeBSD recognize the CDROM?  Naturally, you'd want to install from
the CD if at all possible.

Depending on what they're going to teach in this UNIX class, you may want
to throw FBSD more space.  Also, are you aware of the limits placed by
most 486 biosses on bootable partitions?  If you want to boot from the
partition, it must be below the 512MB mark on the hdd.

> I made the directory FreeBSD under C: and copied /BIN files.
> I also later on copied /FLOPPIES files per Tech Support.
> Booted up to FreeBSD installation menu, in FDISK Partitioning deleted=20
> Extended Partition and created FreeBSD, used A (AUTO) in labeling,
> selected "Wd0s1" (DOS Partition) and proceeded by selecting install
> from DOS Partition.

I can't remember wether this is correct, or not, but it must be since you
would be getting a different error message if it was wrong.

> It began doing some stuff and than came up with following error
> messages:=20
>=20
> =801- Write failure on transfer /BIN distribution from Wd0s1 (wrote 1=80=
=20
> =80Byte)=80
> =80Following by ENTER key, rapidly displayed the below message.=80
> =802- /mnt: create/symlink failed, no inodes free=80.

It sounds as if the FreeBSD partition is corrupt.  This could be because
you are trying to install from an msdos partition (the msdosfs code is
buggy and has been known to trash both dos partitions and FreeBSD slices).

You might consider trying installing over the Internet.  If it is the
msdosfs code screwing you, that'll fix it.  However, the msdosfs stuff
usually causes problems only when you have FIPS'd your hdd, and you don't
seem to have done that???

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk