Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:39:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rhett Monteg Hollander <victorysoldier@yahoo.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape 4.76 & MGA DRI

Scott Long wrote:

> Rhett Monteg Hollander wrote:
>
> > Hello gentlemen,
> >
> > several days ago I've installed 5.0-RELEASE onto
one
> > of my machines, which already carried 4.7-RC1. To
> > avoid possible compatibility problems, I did a
clean
> > install onto another hard drive, and later
recompiled
> > everything. Here I have a couple of annoying
issues.

> > Shell refuses to start Netscape Communicator 4.76
(for
> > FreeBSD) saying "binary file is not executable",
but
> > it was (and is) running fine under 4.7. Since it
was
> > compiled under FreeBSD 2.2.x, I have compat22
> > installed (together with compat3x and compat4x).
No
> > help.
>
> Recompile your kernel with COMPAT_AOUT, or load the
aout.ko kernel module.
Floating exception (core dumped), ~2 megs

> > Second issue comes to be about
hardware-accelerated
> > OpenGL under XFree86 4.2.0, using Matrox G400
> > hardware. Simply, there is no hardware
acceleration at
> > all. DRM kernel modules that come with 4.2.0 are
> > intended for use with FreeBSD 4.x, and they don't
even
> > compile under 5.x. I built kernel with "device
mgadrm"
> > and "options DRM_LINUX", as well as "options
> > COMPAT_LINUX". After launching glxgears system
hangs
> > up completely. Problem seems to be within libdrm.
So
> > far I have no DRI, but software OpenGL, and 162fps
> > compared to 368fps under 4.7.
>
> FreeBSD 5.0 comes with the DRM kernel modules in the
base system, as it
> looks like you discovered.  Can you enable a serial
console and capture
> the crash?
Fixed. Problem was in XF86Config, which was set up
improperly. Not sure what exactly led to that point,
because I've overwritten it with a substitute from
4.7. Now glxgears run fine, at 357fps; interesting, I
supposed 5.0 to be faster than 4.7 in this case, at
least in honour of gcc-3.2.1