Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2000 14:29:33 +0100
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        Russell Cattelan <cattelan@thebarn.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble with Soundblaster 64V

Moin,
> Try this and let me know if it works
Well, it helps. With your patch, I'm able to play mp3s if (and only if) I
do not use boot -v. I kid you not :

There's still a delay of approx. 3-4 seconds during mpg123's startup
message and the first samlple of the first second. (This may be a problem
with mpg123, allthough I did not experience this with the SB16).

Other data points:
cat /dev/sndstat still reports irq 0/dma 0:
FreeBSD Audio Driver (981002) Jan 15 2000 12:58:51
Installed devices:
pcm1: <ES1371Q AudioPCI> at 0xe000 irq 0 dma 0:0

I was able to caputre the output boot -v after increasing the kernel message
buffer[0]. The relevant portion of the log is:

found-> vendor=0x1274, dev=0x1371, revid=0x06
        class=04-01-00, hdrtype=0x00, mfdev=0
        subordinatebus=0        secondarybus=0
        intpin=a, irq=14
        map[0]: type 4, range 32, base 0000e000, size  6
es1: <AudioPCI ES1371> rev 0x06 int a irq 14 on pci0.9.0
pcm1: using I/O space register mapping at 0xe000
es1371: codec vendor TRA revision 35
es1371: codec features Bass & Treble
es1371: stereo enhancement: no 3D stereo enhancement

I've had a lot of fun with the mixer. Changing the mixer settings for vol
and/or pcm changes the output signal. Changing the other mixer settings may
or may not result in rather strange behaviour. A few examples:

ue@nathan$ mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  76:76
Mixer bass     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer treble   is currently set to   0:0
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  76:76
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  64:64
Mixer line     is currently set to  64:64
Mixer mic      is currently set to  64:64
Mixer cd       is currently set to  64:64
Mixer rec      is currently set to  64:64
Mixer ogain    is currently set to  64:64
Mixer line1    is currently set to  64:64
Mixer phin     is currently set to  64:64
Mixer video    is currently set to  64:64
ue@nathan$ mixer line1 0
Setting the mixer line1 to 0:0.
ue@nathan$ mixer
Mixer mic      is currently set to  49:49
Mixer line1    is currently set to   0:0
[all other values remain the same]
mixer line1 64
Setting the mixer line1 to 64:64.
ue@nathan$ mixer
Mixer mic      is currently set to  64:64
Mixer line1    is currently set to  64:64
ue@nathan$ mixer mic 0
Setting the mixer mic to 0:0.
ue@nathan$ mixer
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
[all other values are unchanged]
ue@nathan$ mixer mic 64
Setting the mixer mic to 64:64.
ue@nathan$ mixer line1 0
Setting the mixer line1 to 0:0.
ue@nathan$ mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  76:76
Mixer bass     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer treble   is currently set to   0:0
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  76:76
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  64:64
Mixer line     is currently set to 100:64 <---
Mixer mic      is currently set to  64:64
Mixer cd       is currently set to  64:64
Mixer rec      is currently set to  64:64
Mixer ogain    is currently set to  64:64
Mixer line1    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer phin     is currently set to  64:64
Mixer video    is currently set to 100:64 <---

Changing the mixer settings for bass and treble doesnt't affect the
output nor the settings reported by the next mixer command. For example:
ue@nathan$ mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  76:76
Mixer bass     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer treble   is currently set to   0:0
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  76:76
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  64:64
Mixer line     is currently set to  64:64
Mixer mic      is currently set to  64:64
Mixer cd       is currently set to  64:64
Mixer rec      is currently set to  64:64
Mixer ogain    is currently set to  64:64
Mixer line1    is currently set to  64:64
Mixer phin     is currently set to  64:64
Mixer video    is currently set to  64:64
ue@nathan$ mixer bass 75
Setting the mixer bass to 75:75.
ue@nathan$ mixer
Mixer bass     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer rec      is currently set to  82:82 <----
[The other settings remained unchanged]

If you need a guinea pig for further tests, just drop me a line.

/s/Udo
[0] Somebody should add the words "used by dmesg and friends" the comment
above the option MSGBUF_SIZE and/or add a hint about this option to the
manual page for dmesg.
--
Now they show you how detergents take out bloodstains; a pretty violent
image there. I think if you've got a T-shirt with a bloodstain all over it,