Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 09:59:28 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Michael Ellis" <ellis.michael@mindspring.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and other questions.

Michael Ellis <ellis.michael@mindspring.com> types:
> I am starting to support storage equipment attached to various Unix
> systems (i.e. Solaris, IRIX, HP-UA and AIX) and want/need to learn the
> Unix operating system(s) using Intel/AMD systems.  Any suggestions?
> FreeBSD vs. Linux vs. Solaris?  Value for the time and cost investment,
> is as almost always, the most important consideration.

Installing Solaris on Intel is a *very* trying experience. I wouldn't
recommend doing that until you're already familiar with one of the
other systems. Also, don't do it on a system that might boot Linux;
Linux thinks Solaris data partitions are swap partitions, and uses
them accordingly.

If you're just interested in learning to use unix-like systems,
FreeBSD is as good any of them. Personally, I find it easier to
install than the others. That's because it's the easiest to install
the way I want, whereas Linux distributions tend to only be easy to
install the way the creators of the distribution want it installed. I
also think that having a complete system from one source that includes
most of the applications you want makes life a lot simpler than having
one kernel, dozens of distributions, and even more application
distributions.

> If I purchased (BSDi) BSD Power Pack 4.2, is it easy to upgrade to
> release 4.3?

Yes. You might also look for the commercial release of 4.3.

> Am I better off downloading version 4.3 from FreeBSD.org without the
> application cd's?

If you have good network connectivity, the application CD's generally
don't matter. If you don't, they are a godsend. Having a "rescue CD"
is also nice. I'm still waiting for someone to write up a handbook
entry on how to create one of those, or to show me how so I can write
it up.

> Is there a simply way to upgrade the v4.2 release to v4.3 using the 4.3
> downloadable cd image?

Yes. If you just boot it, it offers you an upgrade option.

> Is it likely all the applications included with 4.2 compatible with 4.3?

No. The base system gets bigger, and the mix tends to change with each
release.

> One more thing: any recommended books or publications for a newbie to
> Unix?

Depends on what you're trying to do. Chip already suggested some
FreeBSD books. I've heard good things about "Unix for people", but
can't recommend anything firsthand.

> Thank you for any suggestions!  I like to learn from other people's
> experiences, saves TIME.

One last thing: you're more likely to get a response in this forum if
you configure your UMA to just send plain ascii, and not to send HTML
- especially if you also include the ascii!

	<mike