Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 14:35:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jin Guojun (FTG staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, mab@kougars.kish.cc.il.us, rfreebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fatal 3D-Now?

> CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor (501.14-MHz 586-class CPU)
>   Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x58c  Stepping = 12
>   Features=0x8021bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,PGE,MMX>
>   AMD Features=0x80000800<SYSCALL,3DNow!>
> RAM: SDRAM 64MB
> DRIVE: 1 6GB SCSI
>
> Ok, I've replaced my CPU and ram. Same error, I get "program cc1 got fatal
> signal 4" when I try to compile something large.. like say, buildworld or a
> new kernel. I've been told this means its a hardware problem, which is why I
> replaced my CPU/RAM. Anywho, if I turn off internal caching in the BIOS the
> system boots fine and I can compile without problems.. even though it takes
> about 6 hours longer to buildworld. I've talked to other people who have AMD
> 3D-Now's and it seems they have the same problem in linux. Odd. Is there a
> bug in those AMD's? Is there no 'good' workaround? Is the kernel reading the
> size of the cache wrong or what? Any info would be helpful.

Normally, such failure is due to the some level of memory problem.
Looks like your memory (RAM) is ok since the problem went away after you
disabled internal caching. But sometimes this is not ture.

You should check the BIOS (under power management in AWARD BIOS, e.g.),
to see if any errors on voltage, temperature, etc., to make sure all
motherboard setting is correct.
e.g., if MB temperature is above 39C, or CPU temperature is higher than
67C, you may check the vent. and the CORE voltage.

I have some 400/450/475, but not 500, K6 II/III 3D CPUs, and they work
every well under FreeBSD as well as under Liuux (tested).

Just curious for you hardware configuration, due to some funny 64MB memory
chip I just discovered. A piece of memory may work on two MB well, does
marginal work on one type of MB, and failed on another type of MB.
Why? because of the MB design.

If you still have the problem, you may tell us more detailed information:
such as,
What is your memory brand and speed?
What is your motherboard and what is the bus speed setting?

	-Jin