Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 1996 12:41:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Yogen_Appalraju@mindlink.bc.ca
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Tue, 20 Feb 1996 Yogen_Appalraju@mindlink.bc.ca wrote:

> I have installed FreeBSD 2.1 on a Pentuim notebook Twinhead Slimnote-890 TX
> with a US Robotics Courier 28.8 PC Card.  I have carefully followed the
> user ppp configuration in the FAQ but can not get it to work.

I'll bet you more than anything you don't have pccard drivers.

> When at the
> "ppp ON hostname>" prompt, and type "dial provider" I get "dial failed".  I
> tried testing my modem connection using tip but did not get much further.
> When I type tip cuaa1, I get the response "connected" but at this point I
> don't know what to type?

Try typing some modem commands, like 'AT' and see if your modem responds
'OK'.  If not, then you need to

> Do I need any special drivers for my PC Card?

I do believe so, at least for modems.  There is an alpha pccard package
out that will handle many ethernet and modem cards.  We are running it
on a Dell Latitude laptop and is doing wonderfully.

Poke around in ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming for something
on pccards.   There are (very well done) complete instructions enclosed

Someone else may be able to fill you in on the details.

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant